9/5/07

afscme locals 3260, 3800, 3801 and 3937 strike



About 3,500 clerical, technical, and health care workers went on strike today after talks with the U of M broke down. Union members are striking for a fair wage. For example every public employer in the state of Minnesota has put at least 3.25% plus step increases on the negotiating table except the U of M. They offered a 2.25% across-the-boards for clerical and technical workers, and a 2.5 percent across-the-boards for health care workers. And offered the Teamsters a 3% raise. (The Teamsters are still in negotiations with the U of M.)

I support the AFSCME strike. Four years ago I went on strike as an AFSCME union member and a U of M employee. We went on strike for economic justice. We were tired of working our butts off and being at the bottom end of the pay scale. I also see it as a gender issue. Most of the clerical workers are women and women are historically paid less than men. Working women today earn and average of 80 cents for every dollar earned by men.

Four years later the issue for the strike is still the same, economic justice. This time I have a different job and I'm no longer in a union represented job. I stand in solidarity with AFSCME and all unions. It's difficult to stand on the picket line - but you know it needs to be done. AFSCME members You have my respect and unwavering support.

No comments: