8/3/07

minneapolis mourns - i35w bridge collapsed into the mississippi river


On august 1st the I35W bridge over the mississippi collapsed into the river. I heard the news a little after 6 p.m. I panicked because my parents and some family members were headed to the Twins game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. I called my parents and they had just driven over the bridge shortly before 6 p.m. They were safe but what about the others? I watched the news and was in disbelief.

I biked down to the scene, not to gawk but to understand what had happened in my city. It was surreal to see the entire bridge completely destroyed. Gone. I've traveled this bridge over the last 20 years. I've biked under this bridge, many many times.

Please pray for and keep the victims and families in your thoughts. Give to the Red Cross. Hug your loved ones. Don't take anyone for granted.

Thank you to my friends from across the country and around the world that have emailed me to make sure I was ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.