8/23/07

a small harvest



This is the gardening season I live for, tomato season. Last weekend I went to the Dowling Garden Heirloom Festival and tried lots of different kinds of heirloom tomatoes and some peppers. If you have never tried heirloom tomatoes go to your local farmers market, co-op, natural, or yuppish grocery store and get yourself some. And if you have you know what I'm talking about.

Earlier in the season I planted four Pik Red tomato plants and one Black Russian heirloom tomato. I also planted swiss chard, lettuce, French sorrel, and herbs (chocolate mint, thyme, rosemary, basil, lavender, and catnip). It has been great to be able to walk outside and pick fresh herbs, salad, and tomato for dinner.

Everything has been very tasty. The French sorrel can be added to salad. The basil can be added to pasta or salads. The thyme and rosemary can be added to roasted vegetables. And of course all of the cats love the catnip.

No comments: