3/19/08

five years later



In some ways I feel like I have been beating my head into a wall for the past five years since the Iraq war started. Although it really started long before the war began. We had been out in the streets saying no to war with Iraq. We knew it was wrong. We begged the American public to see our side of the anti-war movement. To see that war is not a solution and that Iraq had no connection to the events on 9/11. But our voices fell of deaf ears. Five years ago I hitched a ride downtown to an anti-war protest from a woman with a pink cape on (part of code pink). That night, there were hundreds of people in the streets of Minneapolis. Now five years later we are here again together protesting the war.

The Iraq war was unjust to begin with. There was no “Iraq Al Qaeda” connection to 9/11.
Between 82,249 – 89,760 of Iraqi civilians have died because of the war. The cost of the Iraq war could be at $1 trillion to $2 trillion dollars.
The Republicans are always saying that the democrats are the party of “tax and spend.” Why is it that the republicans, who started the war, will be spending trillions on the war? An unjust war, were more than four thousand U.S. troops have died and thousands of innocent Iraqis killed.

It’s difficult for me to find the right words to say. I’m frustrated with the U.S. government. I’m frustrated that the rush to war was so accepted by the masses. I’m frustrated that we are in the same place that we were in five years ago. So for now I ask that you go to the following links and I will take some time to digest the last five years. Take some time to digest the damage that has been done to the world in the name of the U.S.

For now I need to take some time to think and reflect.

Please read these links.
Iraq Body Count
Experts Calculate Billions in Long-term Costs of War
What is your state paying for the war?
Long term costs of the war
Timeline of the Iraq War
Al Qaeda-Hussein Link Is Dismissed

No comments: