3/26/08

I would go to church more if Rev. Jeremiah Wright was the pastor

Why the media so obsessively focused on the bogus non-story of Barak Obama's preacher, Rev. Jeremiah Wright? Why isn't the media reporting actual news like the Iraq war? Fox News aired the very short clip of Rev. Wright' s sermon. They show an out of context (what could be construed as inflammatory) video clip of Rev. Wright's sermon.

I watched Rev. Wright and thought his sermons were spot on. What he said was not new to me. His sermon, "Chickens come home to roost" was brilliant. He is basically saying, "You reap what you sow." If you practice terrorism, kill innocent people, and practice injustice, then you (The U.S.) will reap what you sow. Other people (and the world) will react to how you act. Jesus taught the Golden Rule. He said, "Treat others as you want to be treated." How does America treat others? That's what Rev. Wright is saying. Look at how America is acting. What I took away from what he said was, America has committed sins, atrocities, and oppression in the past and now. The world has reacted to the behavior of the U.S.

As an aside, John McCain has accepted an endorsement from Rev. John Hagge. If I was a candidate for president I would rather have an endorsement from Rev. Wright than Rev. Hagge any day. Hegge has been described as bigot, anti-Catholic, and anti-gay. I have listened to his sermons and am afraid, very afraid. When I listened to Rev. Wright I felt like he "got it." I felt inspired and uplifted. The opposite was true for Hagge.

Check the following links:
Rev. Jeremiah Wright Isn’t the Problem

The hysteria over Obama’s former pastor’s attacks on America shows we’re still in thrall to knee-jerk patriotism. by Gary Kamiya
truth about the Trinity United Church of Christ

There's Nothing Wrong with Rev. Wright. By Sean Gonsalves, AlterNet. Posted March 25, 2008.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I'll give you a hallelujah.

Not to mention John McCain's spiritual advisers, and the general hatemongering of many Republican Party spiritual leaders.

Fedwa Wazwaz has a piece on this on EngageMN.Com: Tag, You're It.