4/28/08

it has been cold for days

Female turkey

It's near the end of April and it's cold, very cold. It has been unseasonably cold for days. It's Monday and this is the third day in a row I've seen snow. I've heard reports from birders that birds were seen flying south from the snow in Northern Minnesota. Last Saturday we woke up with a dusting of snow, but in Northern Minnesota they woke up to several inches. It was so cold I pulled the containers of lettuce and kale onto the porch. Too cold for cold weather crops. Eeks.

I was looking for migrating songbirds but saw one lonely cold Yellow Rumped Warbler. As I headed back in, I saw the turkey that had been hanging around for about week. She had eluded me before but today without anyone around I finally got a photo.


The backside of the turkey as she foraged for food


No comments: